• Header - Science KS3 03.18
  • Header - Science KS5 Biology 03.18
  • Header Double - Science KS3 03.18
  • Science Single 3

Science

Head of Science: Mr R Chotai

Head of Biology & Btec: Mrs S Hickox

Head of Chemistry & Extra Curricular: Mr S Moore

Head of Physics: Ms L Speechly

Science Key Stage 3

In Years 7, 8 and 9, the students study the three sciences; Biology, Chemistry and Physics as separate modules. A different module is completed every half-term. Students’ progress through the modules shown below, although the order may vary.

The content of the modules in Year 7 are:

Biology 1a – Cells and Reproduction
Chemistry 1a – Particles, Atoms and Elements
Physics 1a – Sound and Light
Biology 1b – Body Systems
Chemistry 1b – Chemical Reactions (including acids and alkalis)
Physics 1b – Forces and Space

The content of the modules in Year 8 are:

Biology 2a – Food, Digestion and Respiration
Chemistry 2a – Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Reactions
Physics 2a – Energy Transfers and Magnetism
Biology 2b – Microbes, Disease and Ecological Relationships
Chemistry 2b – Rocks and Weathering
Physics 2b – Light and Sound

In Year 9, students progress through six different topics, which are as follows:

Biology 3 – New technologies and Diseases

Chemistry 3 – New technologies and Atoms

Physics 3 – New technologies and Space

In the second half of the year, pupils begin the GCSE Science course


Science Key Stage 4

The majority of students are following the GCSE Edexcel Combined Science (9-1) course. This will be examined at the end of year 11. It will contain aspects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and lead to the of award 2 grades at the end of the 2 years.  There will be 6 papers, two for each science, each of 1hr 10mins

Some students are following the Separate sciences pathway, which will lead to 3 separate GCSE’s in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. These students will also sit all exams at the end of year 11.  There will be two papers for each science, each of 1hr 45mins

A Level Biology; Exam board: AQA

Year 1
Biological Molecules, Cells, Organisms Exchange Substances with their Environment, Genetic Information, Variation and Relationships Between Organisms.

Year 2

Energy Transfers in and Between Organisms, Organisms Respond to Changes in their Internal and External Environments, Genetics, Populations, Evolution and Ecosystems and the Control of Gene Expression.

A Level Chemistry A; Exam board: AQA

Year 1

Atomic structure, Amount of substance, Bonding, Kinetics, Equilibria, Redox, Periodicity, Group 2, Group 7, Alkanes, Alkenes, Halogenoalkanes, Alcohols and Organic analysis.

Year 2

Thermodynamics, Rate Equations, Acids and Bases, Properties of Period 3 Elements and their Oxides, Transition Metals, Reactions of Ions in Aqueous Solutions, Further Organic Chemistry

A Level Physics A; Exam board: AQA

Year 1

Particles and Radiation, Waves and Optics, Mechanics and Materials, Electricity, Energy

Year 2

Further Mechanics and Thermal Physics, Fields and their Consequences, Nuclear Physics, Option Module - Astrophysics/Medical Physics/Engineering Physics/Turning Point in Physics/Electronics.

 

Year 12; Btec Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology

The course is 59% externally assessed in formal examinations and 41% is internally assessed and is based on assignment work completed in the lesson.

Units studied in Year 1

Unit 1 – Principles of Applied Human Biology

Unit 2 – Practical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases

Units studied in Year 2

Unit 3 – Human Biology and Health Issues

Unit 5 – Diseases, Disorders, Treatments and Therapies

 

Year 13; BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science; Exam board; Edexcel

The course is 58% externally assessed in the form of a 1 ½ hour written exam at the end of year 12 and a controlled assessment taken in year 13. The other 42% is internally assessed and is based on assignment work completed in the lesson.

Year 1

Unit 1 – Principles and applications of science

Unit 2 – Practical scientific procedures

Year 2

Unit 3 – Scientific investigation skills

And an optional unit from the following: Physiology of human body systems, Human regulation and reproduction, Biological molecules and metabolic pathways, Genetics and genetic engineering, Diseases and infections, Applications of inorganic chemistry, Applications of organic chemistry, Electrical circuits and their application and Astronomy and space.

September 2019